|Photo credit www.amorybrown.co.uk|
A dressing room is every woman’s dream. It’s a personal space where you can transform yourself and get ready to go out looking your best. It’s also a great storage solution to have all your personal stuff perfectly organized in one place. Dressing rooms mix functionality with a sense of lux.
Today’s post has been inspired by Homify dressing room gallery where designers and experts have shared their best ideas to create a dream dressing room at home.
Finding the right space
If you’re thinking about adding a dressing room in your home, space may be the first challenge that you could face. As many homes lack space, you will have to prioritise needs and dedicate the right space to what you will actually use on a daily basis. For example, do you have a guest room that never has guests? Then, you may want to buy a folding sofa in case those guests finally come and visit one day and re-purpose that empty bedroom creating a dressing room in it.
Dressing rooms are usually part of the main bedroom, however any spared room close to your bedroom could be also utilised as dressing room. That guest bedroom that never has guests, the study room where you never work in or the nursery if your kids have grown up can be transformed into a practical – also glamorous – dressing room.
If you are not sure about how you can incorporate a dressing room into your home, go to Homify Discursion area where you can ask questions and get some expert advise to resolve your designed dilemmas.
|Photo credit: www.zeworkroom.com|
Planning your dressing room
If you finally found the perfect space to create a dressing room, before starting to buy storage solutions, plan the layout and the amount of storage to suit your needs. You may want to start by doing this:
- Clean up your current wardrobe. Donate everything that you don’t need and throw away the rest.
- Organise the clothes to keep in different boxes according to their type (pants, shirts, skirts…) and season.
- Now that you know the amount of clothes that you need to fit in each compartment, you are ready to choose a suitable storage solution for each type of clothes and plan the space efficiently. You can use Homify to find the right storage solutions as well as get and compare different quotes or find professionals who can design and build customised solutions for your dressing room.
- Mix open shelving solutions with drawers to organise small accessories and underwear and to hide those things that you don’t want to be seen.
- Buy boxes and baskets to organise shoes, accessories and jewellery.
- Add some wall-hangers to hang handbags, jackets and any other thing that you frequently use.
Four essential things that any dressing room must have
Shelving systems are up, so it’s now time to add the finishing touches to your dressing room. There are four things that you can’t forget in this space.
- Seating: a stool, ottoman, small bench or armchair will help put your shoes on and taking them off comfortably.
- Lamp: Dressing rooms usually are intimate spaces with lack of natural light. Natural light may not be an essential in a dressing room but artificial lighting is. From down-lights inside the storage to a desk lamp on your dressing table all can create a cosy and intimate feel along with a functional sense.
- Mirror: A must-have in a dressing room. Apart from its obvious function, mirrors can also make the space look bigger and brighter which can be very beneficial in small dressing rooms to increase the sense of space.
- Floor covering: A small rug on the floor will add cosiness and conform when you walk footbare in winter.